Anambra is More Competitive Than Ever Before—Gov Obiano
1. Anambra State is fast realizing its ambition of becoming Nigeria’s most competitive state which will enable it to become the first choice for investors, according to Governor Willie Obiano.
2. A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr C. Don Adinuba, quotes the governor as making the observation in his reaction to the outstanding performance of the state’s indigenes in the training of police constables at the Nigeria Police College, Nekede in Imo State, where they won five out of the six prizes awarded to the new 192 constables at the passing out parade last week.
3. Promising to reward the security officers as a measure to incentivize and energise others, the governor said that “the brilliant performance of the fresh policemen and women is the latest show of excellence exhibited by our people in both international and national competitions”.
4. The state had three weeks ago won for the third consecutive year the first prize in the annual President’s School Debate Competition organized for secondary schools in the country by defeating Benue State by four points to one.
5. Earlier on Thursday, August 19, 2018, students of Regina Pacis International Model Secondary School, Onitsha in Anambra State, had won in Silicon Valley in the United States the Golden Prize in the Global Technovation competition by developing an internet application for detecting fake drugs, which is an international scourge. The Anambra students beat students from over 100 countries, including the United States, to clinch the highly prestigious award.
6. Governor Obiano recalled that Anambra also won the first prize in the 2018 performance assessment of schools conducted by the Federal Ministry of Education and relevant agencies under its supervision, a feat it also achieved in 2017.
7. “We are the only state in the whole federation to achieve such remarkable consistency in educational performance, to say nothing about the fact that we record the least number of malpractices in examinations conducted by such bodies as the West African Examinations Council (WAEC)”.
8. Chief Obiano also noted that Anambra’s competitiveness goes beyond the educational sector. “Many Nigerians may not know that Anambra State won the first prize in the 2018 National Immunization Campaign under the World Bank supervision’, he stated. “The prize was given jointly to our state by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and the Minister of Health, Professor Isaac Adewole, last June at the Yar’Adua Centre in Abuja and received on our behalf by the Deputy Governor, Dr Nkem Okeke, and the Commissioner for Health, Dr Josephat Akabuike”.
9. He declared that the “security situation in the state has improved so much so that Anambra State is considered not just the safest state in Nigeria but also the safest place in the whole of West Africa and even Central Africa”.
10. He promised that the state would improve more remarkably in 2019 in different fields, thus making it Nigeria’s most competitive state.